As In The Whitewater Affair,  Oklahoma
City Bombing Witnesses Are Dying Fast.
By Mike Blair (Spotlight, 5/19/97)
Two key witnesses in the Oklahoma  City  bombing  case  will  not
appear  to testify at the Denver trial of Timothy McVeigh, one of
the two accused  of  being  responsible  for the bombing, because
they are dead.
One death has been labeled  a  suicide.   The  other  victim  was
killed   in   an   air  crash.   Both  deaths  took  place  under
questionable circumstances.
The supposed suicide  is  Oklahoma  City  Police Officer Terrance
Yeakey.  Dr. Howard D.  Chumley  was  killed  when  his  airplane
crashed on a flight from Amarillo, Texas to Guthrie, Oklahoma.
Yeakey  is  one  of  those  cited for extraordinary bravery right
after the bombing of the Alfred E. Murrah Federal Office Building
in Oklahoma City in his  case  for  rescuing four people from the
devastated structure before he fell through a floor  and  injured
his back.
Official  reports  claim Yeakey slashed his wrists, one twice and
the other three times, placed two slits  in a vein at the bend of
the elbow of one arm and four at the bend of  the  elbow  of  the
other,  and  then stabbed himself with the knife in both sides of
the throat, near the jugular vein.  Then he walked one-and-a-half
miles where he shot himself in  the side of the head.  The bullet
entered the upper temple on the right side and exited  below  the
upper  jaw bone on the left side, meaning the gun would have been
pointed in a downward angle --  a  most unlikely way for a person
bent on suicide to hold a gun.
                  -+- Hard To Believe -+-
"The burning question here is why he didn't just shoot himself in
the first place,  if  suicide  was  his  aim,"  one  investigator
Police in Oklahoma claim that Yeakey had become depressed because
of  guilt  that  he  was  unable  to  save  more  people.  He was
scheduled to receive the  Oklahoma City Police Department's Medal
of Valor.
Yeakey,  police  claim,  left  no  suicide  note.   However,  The
Spotlight has obtained a copy of a letter he sent to a victim  of
the  bombing  who was questioning the federal government's claims
about  the  cause  of  the  tragedy  and  those  accused  as  the
Highlights from his letter follow:
  The man that you and I were talking about in the pictures I
  have made the mistake  of  asking  too many questions as to
  his role in the bombing and was told to back off...
  I was told by several officers he was a ATF agent  who  was
  overseeing the bombing plot and at the time the photos were
  taken  he  was  calling in his report of what had just went
  Knowing what I know  now  and understanding fully just what
  went down that morning makes me ashamed  to  wear  a  badge
  from  Oklahoma City's Police Department.  I took an oath to
  uphold the law and to  enforce  the  law  to the best of my
  ability.  This is something I cannot honestly do  and  hold
  my  head  up  proud any longer if I keep my silence as I am
  ordered to do...
  The sad truth  of  the  matter  is  that  they have so many
  police officers convinced that by  covering  up  the  truth
  about  the  operation  gone  wrong,  that they are actually
  doing our citizens a  favor.   What  I  want to know is how
  many other operations have they had that blew up  in  their
  faces? Makes you stop and take another look at Waco...
  Even  if  I  tried  to  explain  it  to  you the way it was
  explained to me and  the  ridiculous  reason for having our
  own police  department  falsify  reports  to  their  fellow
  officers,  to  the citizens of the city and to our country,
  you would feel the way I do about all of this...
According to his death certificate,  Yeakey's body was found in a
field about two-and-a-half miles west of the El  Reno  (Oklahoma)
"About  two  weeks  before  his  death, he'd come into my home at
strange  times  --  2:30  in  the  morning,  4  in  the  morning,
unannounced, trying to give me life insurance policies," Yeakey's
ex-wife stated.  "He kept telling  me  we needed to get remarried
immediately, or me and the girls would not be taken care of...  I
mean, why would a guy tell you to take a life  insurance  policy,
knowing  damn  well  it wouldn't pay for a suicide?  He obviously
knew he was in danger..."
Two key pages are missing  from  the letter, which was apparently
written on a computer.  Independent investigators  have  verified
the  letter  to  be  authentic,  according  to retired FBI Senior
Special Agent Ted L. Gunderson.
According to reports,  described  to  The Spotlight by Gunderson,
Chumley was approached shortly after the  bombing  and  asked  to
falsify  reports  concerning  injuries  that BATF agents suffered
when the building was bombed.
The physician flatly refused to make any reports of injuries that
didn't  occur.   When  he  learned  that  another  doctor  in the
Oklahoma City area had agreed  to  make  the  false  reports,  he
objected  and  threatened  to  turn  the  physician in to medical
Chumley was killed on September  24,  1995 while the plane he was
piloting from Amarillo to Guthrie was in  a  climb  and  suddenly
plunged into a field. He was killed instantly.
 +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
For  further  info on this and other matters, visit The Spotlight
web site at